This is long overdue, I know. I've been back from my month-long trip to New Zealand for about 4 months now and I'm just now blogging about it. Shame on me.
It's weird when everyone asks me, "So how was New Zealand." I can say, "Amazing, incredible, the adventure of a lifetime, the most beautiful place in the world, and you must go there if you ever get the chance" and it STILL doesn't even come close to describing my trip. For anyone that's been on a study abroad, you know what I'm talking about. It's hard to describe how you completely submerse yourself in a new culture with new people, new ways of thinking, and new ways of doing things. It's hard to explain how you fall in love with the history of a country that you'd never been to before and how you'd move there in a heartbeat, even if it means leaving friends and family behind. You can never explain how this country has forever left a stamp on your heart and even just thinking about it can make you ache. So add onto that the most beautiful scenery in the world and it's just an adventure you will never be able to put into words. Sorry guys, that's the best I can do.
So since I can't really adequately describe "how New Zealand was", I thought I'd do the next best thing and talk about the FOOD! Guys, holy moly, the food was good. It's not very exotic. Because New England was settled by many English settlers and is still a part of the Crown, a lot of its cuisine is English. Which means pastries and desserts are at their finest! And it really helps that one of New Zealand's main industries is the dairy business. I have never had better yogurt or cream in my life than in that country! I tried taking pictures of all the foods I ate throughout New Zealand. A lot of them are desserts, but for anyone who knows me, that's no surprise. Oh and the best thing about food in NZ? You walk into a bakery and get a pastry for $2. Try doing that in the US!
 |
| Mini pancake w/ raspberry topping and cream |
 |
| Passionfruit gelato in Sydney |
 |
Stick in the mud- pastry on bottom, chocolate cake in the middle, topped with chocolate and a stick of ganache in the middle |
 |
| Apricot cake |
 |
| Meal from the Yealands Winery |
 |
| Doughnut covered in cinnamon sugar |
 |
| Feijoa cake- Feijoa is a native fruit of NZ, like a mix between apple, pear, and kiwi |
 |
| Blueberry lemon pastry |
 |
| Best hot chocolate ever |
 |
| Popular soda in NZ |
 |
| Lovely chicken dinner by my friend Brooklyn |
 |
The Odd Fellow- Cake in the middle, chocolate on the sides, white coating on top |
 |
| Custard filled, chocolate covered pastry |
 |
| Custard pie |
 |
| Apricot Cream Cheese muffin |
 |
| Chocolate log w/ cream topping |
 |
| Rhubarb cake made by our Maori hosts |
 |
| Feijoas! |
 |
| Chocolate cake made by our farm stay parents |
 |
| Smorgasbord of desserts from the Sky Tower in Auckland |
 |
| Boysenberry ice cream |
 |
| Cream cheese muffin |
 |
| Gourmet ice cream from Auckland... I can't even explain |
 |
| Gourmet muffins- Chocolate, Berry, Snickerdoodle, Banana Chocolate |
 |
| Cream filled doughnut |
 |
| Chocolate Crescent |
 |
| Apple filled danish |
 |
| Chocolate drizzled cinnamon swirl |
 |
| Forgot the name of this one- but there's chocolate mousse in the middle!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment