Well, it's the last birthday that I'll be closer to the age of 20 than 30. I got to say that all day yesterday, which drove my almost 29-year-old husband crazy! But not only did he tolerate it very well, but he made sure that my birthday was one of the best days ever.
A few weeks ago, when Dave asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told him breakfast-in-bed. I didn't really want a single materialistic thing, just to be pampered. So I woke up on April 3rd to a wonderful smelling breakfast plate full of pancakes, eggs, and strawberries. I was so happy! I've never had breakfast in bed before, but I remember making it for my mom on Mother's Day or her birthday. And I remember thinking, "I hope someone makes me breakfast in bed one day. It looks fun!" And indeed it was. In fact, I think we should make it a birthday tradition in my family.
Next it was present time! Dave had been hounding our mail for a month, ensuring that any packages that came to our house were immediately confiscated and taken to a special hiding place until today. I did learn over the weeks before my birthday that there were two packages. And having seen one of them, I knew it was about the size of a MacBook. But beyond that, I was clueless. I mean, I couldn't even think of a single thing that I wanted. But Dave knows me better than myself and got me gifts that he knew I wanted, but hadn't thought of.
First, I got a yoga mat! I've been doing pre-natal yoga almost every day since I found out I was pregnant. And doing it on the hard wood floors...well, there are more comfortable things in life. And my yoga mat was ORANGE, my favorite color on the planet! As for the second MacBook-sized present, there is a little story there. Ever since I got married and started baking and cooking, I've wanted an apron. Just a cute little thing to wear around the kitchen so I don't continue to get flour on my clothes. And to be honest, I don't really care about the functionality of an apron...I just really want to look cute and house-wifey and wear one! So my second package had two identical aprons folded inside! I'm so excited to put them to use, but most of all, just to have an apron to wear!
Then, naturally with it being a Wednesday, Dave had to leave and go to work. And what did I do? NOT the dishes, NOT the laundry, and NOT any sort of house-wifey thing whatsoever. I took a day off! I played with my little boy, watched some TV, and even did a little bit of ZUMBA.
When he returned, we dropped Cage off at a babysitters house (thanks Star and Seth!) and headed out for a night on the town. Literally. Like, we went to Hollywood for a night on the town. First stop was Benihana's. They had emailed me a $30 coupon for my birthday and I was determined to use it. I love a good hibachi dinner! We sat around the hibachi grill with another couple and their little girl, who was pretty cute. After gorging myself as much as possible, I still had more coming! The waiters surprised me with a free bowl of ice cream (with a candle!) and sang me "Happy Birthday" in Japanese. Then, the couple sitting next to us told their little girl to sing "Happy Birthday" to me in German. And she totally did! So I was wished happy birthday in 3 different languages.
After dinner, it was time for our show. For Christmas, Dave had bought me season tickets to LA's Pantages Theatre, where they host traveling Broadway shows. And one of the shows they were hosting this season was Beauty and the Beast. Knowing how much this musical means to me, Dave bought me tickets for it the night of my birthday and even paid extra just so I would have a better seat.
Let me explain my obsession with this musical. When I was a little girl, Beauty and the Beast was my favorite movie. I was Belle- long brown hair, total bookworm, somewhat isolated from everyone else, looking for adventure, and loved to sing at the top of my lungs when outdoors. I still remain convinced to this day that I am a princess, because I am her. Then in high school, I learned that there was a Broadway musical of Beauty and the Beast, which had all the Disney songs in it, plus more! I fell in love with it. The songs moved me to tears and I've never heard anything more beautiful to this day. I listened to that soundtrack nearly every day home from Bishop Kenny High School. My best Christmases all have to do with Beauty and the Beast- one when my mom gave me the VHS Disney movie, one when Dave's mom bought it from me on DVD, and one where my husband gave me tickets to the Broadway musical! Belle and the beast were there for me after every high-school heartbreak, for every girl's night, and basically for every time I needed a good cry. There is no way of explaining how much that movie and it's musical mean to me.
We got to the show 3 minutes before the first act begun. We make a big deal of making it there on time, because they will close the doors on you if you're late and won't let you in until intermission. When the opening numbers start, it's like a huge adrenaline rush pumping through me. I literally start bouncing in my seat, I'm so excited. I've seen this musical 2 or 3 times before, but it was always on a small, local stage. Being done in a Hollywood theatre, the costumes were fantastic, the scenery was breathtaking, and the cast was amazing! They were filled with so much energy, it was contagious. Belle, of course, was gorgeous, nailed every solo number, and I envied every moment she was on stage. If you've seen the Disney movie, the Broadway script is a little different, but I love it. The cast had us rolling in our seats with laughter, sometimes to tears! And other times, the tears were because I was so moved, touched, sad, angry, or overjoyed at the moment. I literally felt like I was filled with magic the entire night. And when they sang "Be Our Guest", the audience was absolutely blown away by the energy, scenery, and costumes. I've never seen a more impressive number. Dave thought Gaston was hilarious (which he was) and played the perfect arrogant, handsome fool. The only letdown of the cast was really the Beast, which is sad because my favorite number is HIS solo, "If I Can't Love Her". I kept waiting for his voice to power up and move me, but it never did. Maybe his singing was off that night, but there were several times when he was supposed to belt out powerful notes, but it never came. Perhaps I was a little spoiled, listening to famous Broadway singers on the soundtrack all those days after high school. It's not that he was terrible, just that he wasn't amazing.
And as I mentioned before, Dave and I made a point of getting to the theater on time, otherwise they close the doors on you. However, they let like 20 people into the theater after the first act had started! And most of those people happened to be sitting somewhere in front of us, so we saw every single one block the stage. Even though it was only for a moment, after the 10th time I was irritated. I mean, if they're going to have a rule about not letting people in after the show's started, they need to stick to it. It breaks the magic for just a moment when people wander in late. Slightly frustrating, but by the second act, everyone had arrived and I could finally enjoy the enchantment uninterrupted.
I'm getting an adrenaline rush just talking about my magical night! It was seriously one of the best nights of my life and I have Dave to thank for most of that. I can't imagine being with anyone else. He is all I want and even if I had to give up Beauty and the Beast for the rest of my life, he would be so so worth it. Thanks honey, for being so incredibly good to me. You're the best.
 |
| Me and my favorite little boy on my birthday. He was so good. No temper tantrums all day! |
 |
| What was left of my breakfast. It was so delicious! |
 |
| Me trying out my yoga mat in Warrior I position |
 |
| Cage likes to yoga with me |
 |
| Look how freakin' cute my apron is! It's got cherries all over it! |
 |
| My outfit for our night out. I ended up changing later, but I do love this dress and how it emphasized my baby bump, so I couldn't resist taking a picture. |
 |
| Benihana's even took our picture, developed it and put it in a frame for me. Talk about treating your customers right. |
Wow, what a great day! I love that apron, it is so cute!! You are so cute, and I'm so glad I got to celebrate with you last weekend!
ReplyDeleteYou are too cute! I have seen only one real Broadway play, and it was amazing. I'd love to go to every single one, ever! Happy Birthday again.
ReplyDelete