Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cage's 2nd birthday: Surfing theme

Wow, my kid is two years old. I was looking at baby pictures of him the other day and I simply cannot believe that it's the same kid. He is growing up so fast.

Some of you may know that we have not allowed Cage to have sugar for the first two years of his life. It's worked out pretty well. He prefers carrots and green beans to brownies, which I love! I am such a produce-holic. But on his birthday we started letting have sugar. For the most part, he still prefers his fruits and veggies, but we have discovered two things that he L-O-V-E-S. Nutter butters (he calls them cookies) and soda (which he calls pop). It's a good thing I don't usually store those things in my house!

So anyways, his birthday party this year was a surfing theme, in honor of Dave and Wade's newly found airline "SurfAir". I thought it was appropriate and found some great things that went along with the theme.

 So I loved making this cake. I found a bunch of easy cake recipes on this website: http://www.ivillage.com/how-make-surfer-birthday-cake/6-a-297971. I made the surfboards out of sugar cookie dough, added icing (this recipe was the best I've ever tried: http://iambaker.net/sugar-cookie-decorating-101/) and added the picture of Cage on one. That picture of him on the surfboard really added a great touch and Dave thought it was awesome. Surf's up dude!

 These are the nutter butters that Cage went nuts over. All I did was add icing to them to  make them look like flip flops. Although, some people did think they were bikini bottoms.



The recipe for the sand dollar cookies is here: http://mamamiss.com/2012/07/31/eats-sand-dollar-cinnamon-sugar-cookies/. Cage had fun stirring the dough and then licking the bowl.


And THIS was the hit of the party! My shark watermelon (borrowed from http://www.sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/bite-into-summer-vacation.html) . It probably only took about 30-45 minutes of labor and totally worth every minute of it. The "water" is blue jello jigglers. One guy walking by my party asked me "Where did you buy that watermelon?" He was dumbfounded when I told him that I made it!



This was a fun idea too. Put snacks in sand pails to work with the beach theme. I had goldfish, chips, and salsa.

Man I cannot believe how fast our little family has grown. We love this kid so much. Happy birthday Cage!!


1 comment:

  1. Ha, bikini bottoms! I never would have thought of that, but totally see it now. Loved everything you did, Cage is such a cute kid!

    ReplyDelete